Unsalted butter, softened, for the pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Finely grated zest of 2 organic lemons
1/3 cup First Fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
3/4 cup of ricotta cheese (or, may substitute Greek yohurt)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon of Limoncello
(may substitute lemon juice)
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Line the bottom of 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, butter the pan and the paper.
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the egg yolks, granulated sugar, and lemon zest. Beat on medium speed until the mixture thickens, is pale yellow, and forms ribbons when the whisk is lifted, 3-4 minutes. Allow to sit.
4. In a separate bowl, beat (or, whisk) the egg white to stiff peaks. Set aside
5. Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, milk, ricotta cheese, and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in the oil mixture with the mixture in the electric mixer with the machine running. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture, and mix just to combine. Drizzle in the butter and mix just to combine.
6. Remove the mixing bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the stiff egg whites
7. Pour the batter into the prepared an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 baking pan (buttered) . Bake, rotating the pan once after 25 minutes, until the top of the cake is golden, the center bounces back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean (about 45 minutes).
8. Unmold the cake from the loaf pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
9.)While still warm, prepare the glaze. Combine the Limoncello with powdered sugar until completely combined, without lumps. You may need to adjust the consistency a bit to your liking. (I like it kind of thick.) Pour over the pound cake and let it dry. (at least a 1/2 hour if you want it dry and not too tacky to the touch)